The story of my journey from diagnosis to recovery for FAI and labral tear

In Jan 2010, I was diagnosed with a tear in the labrum of my right hip. I was also told I had Femeroacetabular Impingement (FAI) and quite possibly needed my Iliopsoas tendon lengthened. I went in for surgery on May 19, and am looking forward to a full recovery and getting back to doing what I do, better than before!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sciatica...bummer

Well, Sam ran me through some diagnostics after I told him my hip has been hurting and my butt has been burning.  His prognosis: early signs of sciatica. The solution: more time laying down with ice, and gentle stretching.  The stretching is new, so that's exciting - plus it feels sooo good!  The laying down with ice is not new, so I'm a little bummed about that.  It also stalls my progress towards being able to work an entire day (which, admittedly, I'm not too upset about).  Turns out I was sitting too much.  For reference, I had been sitting about 4 hours a day for work, then 30 minutes on the bike, various time in the car, and a couple hours of random sitting, including meals.  Probably 7-8 hours per day in total.  Butt time sure adds up fast!!  ;-)

Tomorrow hubby and I head out for a road trip we'd been planning since January.  We prepaid for everything, so we're going.  It should be interesting - at least my seat reclines in the car, so I can alternate between sitting and laying down during drive times.  The hotel has a fitness center and a lap pool, so I can do all of my therapy.  I can't wait to leave this house!  I hope it all works out well.

1 comment:

  1. Ironically, I've been having some nerve issues too. PT says it may be an issue for a while because of the stress from being in traction.

    Hope you're having fun on your much-deserved road trip!!!

    ReplyDelete