The story of my journey from diagnosis to recovery for FAI and labral tear

In Jan 2010, I was diagnosed with a tear in the labrum of my right hip. I was also told I had Femeroacetabular Impingement (FAI) and quite possibly needed my Iliopsoas tendon lengthened. I went in for surgery on May 19, and am looking forward to a full recovery and getting back to doing what I do, better than before!

Monday, June 14, 2010

How I Got Here

Hi there!

I'm starting this blog a bit late (nearly 4 weeks post-op), but thought it might be helpful to others. So a little back-tracking is in order.

A few years ago (2007?), I began having some pain in my hip. Nothing major, just some twinges here and there if I did too much activity, like a 7-hour cleaning session or a full day at a festival. It didn't impact my normal activities, so I ignored it. The pain snuck up on me gradually, coming on sooner and lasting a bit longer. By 2009, I knew I had a problem, but still I pushed on. I was trying to lose weight and get in better shape, and I didn't want anything to stop me.

Previously, my activities included training for triathlons, half-marathons, and half-century bike rides. Six days a week, I was either biking, swimming, or interval jogging. My weight kept me from running, but I was making progress. By June of 2009, I was limping at the end of my jogs. I was also crawling up the stairs after cleaning for an hour. So of course I decided to join Tae Kwon Do to build up my strength and flexibility.

During class, I noticed that my hips would crunch and catch during some of the kicks. I also noticed severe range of motion limitations when comparing my kicks to other students. When asked to do a front kick at head height, try as I might, I could only get to chest level. I started to wonder what was wrong. Just my weight getting in the way? Or something else?

During self-defense training, I popped my knee a good one and took a month off to heal. Went back and popped my other knee, prompting me to go to a doctor for help. I didn't want to be off another month. By this time, I had competed in my first triathlon of the year, with a record finish time and the satisfaction of having run the entire 5k - no stopping! I also competed in a half-marathon, but my hip gave out so quickly that I walked most of it and had to get a massage afterwards to be able to walk.

The doctor prescribed physical therapy at the sports medicine clinic. He was a marathon runner, and knew what it was like to be sidelined. I believe with all my heart that it was this fact that led me to the right place. Would I have received the same treatment at a standard therapist's office? Perhaps, but I personally doubt it.

My therapist found that I had exceptionally weak hips, which could account for the knee pain. I spent the next 3 months strengthening my hips and resolving my IT Band inflammation. At the end of 3 months, we did a post-evaluation. As the therapist moved my leg up and across my chest, I had a sudden burst of intense, sharp pain and yelled out. He immediately told me that the location and severity of that pain was an indication of a cartilage tear and I was to discontinue therapy until I consulted with a surgeon.

I was referred to Dr. Patrick Birmingham, an orthopedic surgeon with a specialty in hips. He completed his fellowship at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Washington, DC, learning his technique from Dr. Kelly. He is also a follower of Dr. Philippon's procedures, and meets with him regularly. He was brought to Wisconsin as an assistant professor at the Wisconsin Medical College, where I happen to go for all my treatment. Lucky me!

I was nervous, but went ahead and consulted with Dr. Birmingham.

1 comment:

  1. I'm newly following your posts. I too have a weight problem. After giving birth to my second child I have been struggling to get back into pre-baby shape. With a few good women in mind they made me head strong into training for a summer full of triathlons. I was losing weight, gaining energy, confidence and self esteem that I hadn't seen in years. During my training my hip started aching, I ran through it, until my first triathlon, I walked 2/3 my run. I refused to stop or quit and walked to the finish line. I was happy to complete it but I felt like 6 months of hard core training was down the drain. Now 6 months later, 30lbs heavier, and hip pain worse than ever, unable to work out until medically cleared, and tossed around like a hot potatoe with no answers. Everything I worked for went down the drain, I just want to get back to where I was in the Summer. Pre-hip pain. Its unfortunate this happens so often, but its nice to read I'm not alone. I'm happy to read from yours and others posts that I can gain confidence and hope from. Thank you. Siobhan

    ReplyDelete